We recently completed a study for UC Berkeley’s University Hall. This seven-story tower and adjoining two-story annex at the west edge of campus, designed by the well-known west coast firm Welton Becet & Associates and constructed in 1959, originally housed the University of California Office of the President. When UCOP relocated to Oakland, University Hall became home to the campus’s Visitor Center and a variety of administrative offices.
UC Berkeley selected Interactive Resources to perform a study and make recommendations for envelope improvements for University Hall, with an emphasis on roof replacement, penthouse wall coating, water intrusion mitigation at the windows, and improving drainage and watertightness of the annex patio.
This study was used as a basis for the envelope improvement project, intended to reduce maintenance requirements, save energy, and improve functionality and appearance of the roofing and related exterior elements. Repair design is underway.
This project is one of dozens [or can we say hundreds?]) of similar projects that we have performed in our 45 year history; Interactive Resources has specialized expertise in the investigation and repair of construction defects, water intrusion, and building failures, and the deterioration of building components (decks, roofs, windows and doors), building safety code compliance, building maintenance, and seismic risk analysis.
Through our investigations we trace the history of the problems, determine the cause, recommend solutions, and provide technical documents, reports, as well as schematic design, construction documents and cost estimates for the repairs.
Forensic architectural and engineering services include:
• Building envelope and façade assessments, recladding and repair design
• Roofing/waterproofing investigations, design reviews and repair design
• Roof core analysis and testing and roof management programs
• Building code analysis including construction standards, life safety, exiting and fire resistance
• Building system failures: window/door glazing failures, expansion joint failures, spalling brick, water intrusion, roofing systems failure, masonry and stone failures
• Building safety, code compliance, HVAC and electrical, snow and water drainage control, fire and smoke alarms, window guards, glass, floor surfaces, refuse management, occupancy separations
• Building envelope maintenance, systems, roofing and drainage
• Security, access control, parking, lighting, vegetation, glazing, door and window hardware
• Structural component assessments
• Seismic risk analysis/retrofits
• Intrusive/non-intrusive and wind uplift testing
• Technical specifications and drawings for use in the repair of construction defects and in estimating the costs of repair
• ADA/Title 24 compliance and ANSI A117.1
• Peer review, construction review and expert witness services
• Construction Administration