The Santa Fe Reading Room, built circa 1900, is the only remaining structure from the early days of the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad yards in Richmond. Santa Fe Railroad once built and maintained “reading rooms” for employees in every major town along their routes to serve as community centers and to provide a diversion to compete with the local bars.
Tom Butt, FAIA, President of Interactive Resources, worked in his capacity as a Richmond City Council member and historic architect to save the structure from demolition for almost 15 years. That goal was finally achieved in 2005 when the structure was moved to a location in the Point Richmond Historic District, where it become part of a Gateway Park and is now occupied by Mechanics Bank.
Interactive Resources contributed architecture and engineering services for the relocation, redevelopment and preservation of this historically significant building. Our work included preparing construction drawings for everything from the new foundation to details for the restoration of the historic windows and wood trim. We also designed the entry sign that now serves as the gateway to historic Point Richmond.